Saturday, January 29, 2011

Is pride a sin?...

... if so then I need forgiveness in the worst way!



Last week Travis asked if I would help him with his English term paper.  Being a college professor, I have written, read, and edited my share of term papers.  For me, it is no big deal, an almost weekly task. But this was no ordinary term paper.  This was a paper written by my brilliant, sweet son.  I was THRILLED and to be honest somewhat nervous!

We spent three hours together debating each sentence, each adjective, and of course, each VERB!  For you non-nerds out there, this is the geek version of heaven.  Equate it to the first time a father teaches his son to throw a baseball or a mom proudly listens to a piano recital.  This was my super bowl!

What emerged on paper from our editing marathon was a well-written, active-voice-rich, analysis of "Animal Farm" and its modern day implications.   What emerged in my heart was a sense of pride in my boy, respect for his patience, intellect, and compassion.  What a great night together.

Then, just when I thought I couldn't be more proud, a letter arrived in the mail.


WOW!!!  A THANK YOU NOTE?  What a special, special boy.

Travis earned a 196 out of 200 on the paper, a wink and a nod from his teacher, and the respect of his classmates.  I earned a smile and a warmth in my heart that will not go away!  If pride is a sin, then I plead GUILTY AS CHARGED!

No comments: